Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Healthy Diet: Black Bean Salad

This past weekend, Adam has decided to go on an even more strict diet than he is currently on.  I actually don't know how that is even possible but I guess that means no cheat days and much more fruits and vegetables.  The problem I have noticed thus far is that he needs to eat at least every 90 minutes because he can not seem to eat enough to feel full.  So I have been trying my hardest to help him with his new diet.

Every Tuesday we invite our friends over to taco tuesday.  I use chicken instead of beef, wheat tortillas and low-fat cheese.  But still, Adam didn't want the tortillas or the cheese so I looked up a recipe and found a great black bean salad.  He had the black bean salad and added some chicken and a little rice on top to create a taco salad.  Enjoy the recipe!

Black Bead Salad

Black beans are a delicious staple of Central and South American cuisine—they fill you up without filling you out. This black bean salad with a decidedly Southwestern flair is quick and easy to make, high in protein and fiber, low in fat and calories, and tasty as all get-out.
  • 2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups freshly cooked black beans)
  • 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • The juice of 2 medium limes (about 1/4 cup)
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and enjoy! Makes 6 servings.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes

2 comments:

Maria said...

I am not sure what he is avoiding or I would offer some tips to make tacos possible. ;-) That being said, you can find some awesome gluten free and vegan tortillas that are tasty, as well as rice cheese (shredded) as substitutes for special meals.

Kearstin said...

Thanks for the tips Maria! I will let him know for next Tuesday! Thanks girl ;)

Post a Comment