Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Earth Day 2010

As a child I remember Earth Day as being one of my favorite times of the school year. We would spend the entire week doing neat crafts and going outside planting flowers or picking up trash. Fast forward to 2010 and now I am thinking about ways I can improve my life in terms of the impact I have on this planet. I am going to be 110% honest and tell you I was never one to think about the three R's (remember that in elementary school - HA). But as I've grown and found an appreciation for our earth I find myself being a recycling freak and wanting to learn more ways to help have a positive impact on our environment.

My journey started a few years ago in Germany. We had the neighbors call the club Adam was playing for and they told on us; they told the club we do not separate our trash from food trash, to plastics, cardboard, glass and so on. I felt awful. Ever since then I have learned to recycle as much as I can and it feels good. Another thing living in Europe has taught me is to use reusable bags for everything especially food shopping. It is much easier carrying 4 reusable bags then those annoying, cheap plastic bags. Besides, in Europe you have to pay for the bags and bag your own groceries and on the flip side I can have .05 cents per bag at Stop & Shop in the states. It's just logic people!

Those are the two things I have consistently done for a couple years now. But I am going to make it a goal to improve on ways on how to help the earth. A year from today I hope I can post that I have made at least a few changes such as using less paper towels (I love paper towels; there is something with reusing towels to clean the counter, spills, etc., that freaks me out), using more natural cleaning products and turning off the lights when they really don't need to be on. Anyone who knows me, knows I love to have all the lights on all day long, it's like a fake sun for me! I will continue to work on helping the planet be a more "greener place" for many of reasons but the main reason is the earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it. -Psalm 24

A friend of mine is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to living a more natural lifestyle. She has taught me a few good tips and tricks about how to protect our planet since we first met. Check her out!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Change doesn't happen overnight! I have been working on this for years, and I still have a LONG way to go! Keeping working it Kear! :)

P.S. Don't forget to leave a comment on the Earth Day post (http://www.piecesofmymind.com/2010/04/earth-day-is-coming-2.html) so you can enter the giveaway!

Kearstin said...

Giveaway? I love giveaways! Let me check it out :)

Post a Comment