Sunday, April 18, 2010

Living Overseas: The Mommy Edition

Schooling/education.

This has been a particular touchy subject since I have had so many people tell me their opinions about if they think it is right to send Jayden to school in Europe. Here's the thing, living in Europe is no different then living in the United States. Kids still go to school, take the bus, learn their numbers and colors and play with their friends. The only difference with Jayden is he doesn't speak the native language. Of course it is harder for him but if the day came where he begged and begged and begged to stay home because he hated going to school then yes, I would let him stay home. But I honestly don't think that would ever happen.

In France, Jayden went to a private school 3 days a week for 3 hours each day. By the end of our time in France, he spoke more french then I could. Here in Poland, he goes to another private school 3 days a week for 3 hours. Since Jayden is older now, he is understanding that not everyone speaks English like he does. He does come home everyday and have a new Polish word for me or tells me that his classmates said, "Good-Bye" to him.

There are times I wonder if Jayden is behind in his learning but as far as I can tell he is doing just fine. To keep him on track we try to use ABC Jesus Loves Me at least twice a week to practice a particular number, letter, color, study a particular verse in the bible and learn a weekly song. Jayden seems to love it and I think it is a perfect amount of learning paired with religion for a 3 year old.

0 comments:

Post a Comment