Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Living Overseas: The Mommy Edition

Friends.

Similar to family, our friends are a big part of our lives. Over time I have lost some of my close friends, why? I am honestly not sure. Maybe because I live 10,000 miles away 9 months out of the year or maybe it's because the friends I have lost touch with are in totally different chapters in their lives. But because of this it is really taught me to appreciate the friends I have. No matter how far away I live or if I stay home with my 3 year old on a Friday night instead of going out those closets friends are still by my side. If there is one thing I tell Adam all the time is that he has the best group of friends anyone could ask for. His friends are like his brothers. They are always there to help him or support him more matter what. His closet girlfriend and him use to argue and disagree but it just drew them closer. Today, we have all became friends and she is on our wedding! I am so thankful for all of our friends for each one of them holds a special place in our hearts.

Most Mom's go over to their friends house to talk about the week, have a glass of wine, let the kids hang out or just go to a movie. That really isn't the case for me. When Adam signs a contract the first thing I do is look to see if there are any other Americans on the team. Why? So I can then see if he has a wife or kids so I know I will have at least 1 friend on the team (it is amazing how basketwives just connect with each other). There have been times when there were no other wives, at least no wives traveling with their husbands, on the team. Therefore, as silly as this sounds, I had no friends, in a foreign country, where I didn't speak the language. Of course it was hard, but we always make the most of every situation. Last year in France, I was so blessed to meet amazing girls that made the season so much fun. This year, with 4 Americans on the team, there are no other American wives. However, one of the Polish players has a wonderful wife with a 3 year old daughter who we've become close with.

Because Jayden is so young, I don't think much about him and his friends. He makes friends wherever we are. The difference between kids and adults is that kids can play together and have a blast even if they don't speak the same language. It amazes me when I watch Jayden interact with other kids even though I know they don't understand each other. I do, however, worry about how Jayden will do with making lasting friendships as he gets older. He knows that when we head across the pond that the kids we hang out with back in the states will not be going with him. He knows that he will not see his cousins until the summer time. And he is totally ok with that now. My biggest fear would be that he would have a hard time letting kids his age into his life when he is older because we are constantly traveling now that he is young. I pray that he will take after Adam and I and see that friends will always be there for you even if you are not always with them.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Haha! I always did the same thing! Task #1-- discover if other wives will be there. Now it is Task #1-- figure out the best way to communicate with my husband. Ha ha! I found, however, that some of my best friends were not American wives, but locals, expats and wives of domestic players. Amazing how easily I adapted to that way of life.

Kearstin said...

Isn't it funny how we work! I, too find myself becoming friends with locals. I actually just found out today that our neighbors speak English and have a 3 year old girl! Playdate?!

Maria said...

No kidding! I'm glad Kevin was always a good sport, because I drag him along to events. It's the same in the US. I'm the friend maker. He's the "happy to hang out with whomever" husband. LOL!

Post a Comment