Saturday, April 24, 2010

Our Time in Kolobrzeg, Poland

The season is officially over. Unfortunately, the team lost their last 4 games by a total of 8 points. I know, it's crazy. I think I would have rather lost by at least 10 points each game. There is something about losing by 1 or 2 points that makes it so much more difficult to get over. We have had a wonderful 4 short months in Poland and believe it or not, I have actually discovered a lot since we've been here. Here are some of the things Poland has taught me:

  • I can live without a car. It's been 4 months since we've been here and neither I, nor Adam have drove a car.
  • I can survive in absolutely, outrageously cold temperatures. For about 2 straight months it was anywhere between -5 degrees to 20 degrees fahrenheit. I don't care who you are, that is cold.
  • I can live without fast food, even in Europe. Truth be told, I love McDonald's in Europe but you would never, ever see me eat McDonald's in the states. Well since the closets McDonald's is 40 minutes away, I've only had it about 3 times since we've been here and I am totally ok with that.
  • I can survive without shopping; kinda. Believe it or not, I've only bought 3 new piece of clothes since we've been in Poland. 2 shirts and a tank top for a total of $34! That's amazing for me.
  • I can survive without a dryer. I never thought it would be possible but it totally is.
  • There is nothing a club can say or do that doesn't surprise me. It has been a circus here at times but we've fought through it!
  • I can get by with only knowing 3 words in Polish; hello, good-bye and thank-you.
  • Every older person wants to touch your child. They want to pinch their checks, hug them, kiss them and show them some love. After 4 months I am finally ok with that, I will wash him in the shower before he goes to bed.
  • It's ok to let Jayden away from my side when we are at the gym or in the city center. Everyone knows he is Adam's son and watches out for him.
  • And last but not least Poland has taught me that I have one heck of a solid routine. Why? Because people wonder where I am or where Jayden is at certain times of the day. For example, 11 AM on a Tuesday, a lady came up to me and was so confused why Jayden wasn't with me. I told her that it was a special day since we missed school on Friday that I let him go on Tuesday instead!
I never thought we would end up in Poland this year but it has truly been a blessing. We have an adorable flat, Adam has great teammates and we have met a great family since we've been here. We found Jayden a small, private school that he loves and living in the most popular resort city in Poland has been great. But every story has an ending and our story in Kolobrzeg is coming to an end. It is on to the next journey and I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for us!

As of today, we have no idea when we will be flying home. Hopefully we should know something on Monday.

1 comments:

A Boy, His Girls & A Big Dog said...

Awwwww, that was a nice re-cap of your time there. First things First...get yourself a new camera for crying outloud.

Post a Comment