Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Facebook: Love or Hate?

This post has been a long time coming as I currently have 46 pending friend requests. I throughly enjoy Facebook. It is a great way to stay in touch with people from all over the world. Since we live in Europe almost 9 months out of the year, I think it is very important to find ways to stay connected with friends and family back in the states. Between email, Skype, BlackBerry Messenger and facebook I think that Adam and I do a great job of staying connected. But as much love as I have for facebook, I also share some resentment towards it.

Is it bad that facebook is a Bookmark Tab on my Mac? Or that it's one of the top 5 websites I visit daily? In my eyes, the problem with facebook is that it can turn into people just being plain nosy. Do my 46 pending friend requests want to talk to me or do they really just want to be my friend to see my information, pictures, what people write on my wall or what my status updates are?

Being engaged to a professional athlete, who also has a facebook account generates a lot of friend request as well. At least 1/3 of my current friend requests are supporters of Kotwica Kolobrzeg. It is not that I don't want to be friend with them and I don't want to be mean in any way, shape or form, but again, do they want to talk with me or do they just want to be nosy?

It wasn't until I really cut my friend list back that I finally put pictures of Jayden on my facebook. With the amount of "friends" I had before I cut it back, there was no way I wanted to share personal photos of my son for everyone to see. Between sharing personal photos of my family, my son and my travels on facebook, updating my status daily to let my family and friend know how and what we are doing, for me facebook is not a "let the entire world in on my business" but instead a place where I can connect with those that are close to me.

With that being said, I, again, really enjoy the benefits of facebook. Between meeting some amazing women of God who have given me advice on everything from potty training to good books to read and many basketwives who I share so many similarities with I have made some great "friends." For now, I will keep my facebook friends list to a minimum not because I want to shut anyone out but because I feel it is necessary so I can concentrate on those people who God has put in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment