Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Happiness

Psalm 144:15 from the New International Version reads, Blessed are the people of whom this is true; blessed are the people whose God is the Lord. In other versions of the bible the word "blessed" is substituted with "happy." So where am I going with all of this? On Monday morning when I returned home after bringing Jayden to school, Adam and I watched a mini podcast by Joel Osteen. His message was on happiness. Joel Osteen always gets my brain flowing but this message really had an impact on the rest of my day.

From the moment we wake up in the morning our first words, thoughts and emotions have an impact on how the rest of our day is going to go. For example, those people who wake up thinking, "It's going to be a bad day, it's Monday" or "Why does my son not sleep in like other children?" Those negative thoughts and emotions of anger are going to have an impact on the rest of the day. Instead of thinking of Mondays as a "bad day" why not make Monday a day of excitement of how you are going to tackle the rest of the week and why not thank the Lord that you have a child and on top of that a child who has a bed to sleep in and a roof to protect him while he sleeps.

It may be surprising to people but happiness is a choice. One must set themselves up to be happy; don't set the bar of happiness so high that it seems impossible to achieve. Don't be led by your emotions; emotions can be dangerous. Your emotions can change with every little thing that happens during the day. If you don't get ahold of your emotions you can end up on a rollercoaster. Regardless of your emotions, happiness is still a choice. Lastly, choose your thoughts wisely. If you think you are unhappy then you will be unhappy. The Lord is on your side if you give him the chance and the praise. Happy are those people whose God is the Lord!

1 comments:

Maria said...

I think happiness is based in perspective, or in your words choice. How two people respond to the same situation is just as much a function of how their worldview as emotion. If my worldview is living the promises of Jesus, the bumps in the road are just that, even if my emotions are all over. In other words, my heart is steady. In James 1:2, we are told to consider it joy when we face trials, because the testing of faith develops perseverance, and perseverance leads to our maturity.

When I am tempted to be unhappy, I remind myself that each trial, each tug at my happiness, develops my perseverance and is a step along the path of spiritual maturity.

Great post Kear. :)

Post a Comment